These were written for the 11th-12th grade level. However, this lesson can easily be adjusted for use lower grade levels and corresponds to the following Common Core Standards. Student assessments and expectation may vary depending upon grade level and ability.
Reading Standards for Literacy in History/ Social Studies
Key Ideas and Details (Grades 11-12)
Standard 2: Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source; provide an accurate summary that makes clear the relationships among the key details and ideas.
- Students will be studying background texts to determine the origin and impact of September 11th and will need to be able to accurately summarize these background texts to prove they have understanding of the origins of 9/11.
Standard 3: Evaluate various explanations for actions or events and determine which explanation best accords with textual evidence, acknowledging where the text leaves matters uncertain.
- The background information will present different opinions on certain topics related to the origins and impact of September 11th and students will need to evaluate these different opinions and explanations in order to form an equitable judgment.
Integration of Knowledge and Ideas (Grades 11-12)
Standard 7: Integrate and evaluate multiple sources of information presented in diverse formats and media (e.g., visually, quantitatively, as well as in words) in order to address a question or solve a problem.
- Students will be using different sources of background information as well as videoconference interviews with two primary source speakers to explain how September 11th has come to affect Contemporary Americans and what its legacy on the American Psyche is.
Standard 9: Integrate information from diverse sources, both primary and secondary, into a coherent understanding of an idea or event, noting discrepancies among sources.
- Students will be utilizing a diverse array of sources both as background knowledge and during the videoconference in order to have a more thorough and seasoned understanding of the events of September 11th and their impact on American Society.
Production and Distribution of Writing (Grades 11-12)
Standard 6: Use technology, including the Internet, to produce, publish, and update individual or shared writing products in response to ongoing feedback, including new arguments or information.
- Students will be keeping a Google Drive folder with their own reflections and thoughts on the topics covered in class.
Speaking and Listening Standards
Comprehension and Collaboration (Grades 11-12)
Standard 1: Initiate and participate effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grades 11–12 topics, texts, and issues, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly and persuasively.
- Students will be participating in collaborative discussions with their interviewee’s through the videoconferencing part of the lesson, and will have collaborative discussions about what they heard and learned in the videoconference with each other.
Standard 3: Evaluate a speaker’s point of view, reasoning, and use of evidence and rhetoric, assessing the stance, premises, links among ideas, word choice, points of emphasis, and tone used
- Students will be evaluating and comparing the reports given by the two or more people with whom they videoconference and will assess how each makes his or her point.